Sunday 2 March 2014

My Introduction


I am currently living in Mackay and have just commenced my first year in the Graduate Diploma of Learning and Teaching program. In 2012 I completed by Bachelor of Theatre (Specialization Music Theatre) at Central Queensland Conservatorium of Music and have since then been working as a dance/music theatre teacher at a local dance studio (Mackay Fame Talent School). I have been student teaching in the dance environment since 2007 but since having completed my Bachelor gained a part-time position teaching a variety of jazz, tap, hip-hop, drama and musical theatre to a variety of ages ranging from 2 years-16 years.  Having taught at Fame for the past 5 years I gained a substantial knowledge base regarding the behaviour and specific learning outcomes of children and my interest has moved towards primary school education. So here begins my new and exciting journey.
The biggest challenge for me will be studying independently (externally) via distance education because I am a kinaesthetic learner and process information best through “hands on” experiences. Being distance education (online) the most suitable learning theories to apply to my studies is Social Constructivism (learning is social) and Connectivism (learning with computers and internet). By using computers and technology (Connectivism), we have access to a wide variety of resources available on the internet supplying us with an unlimited amount of information. The information we gather can then be shared with our fellow colleges through the use of blogs, wikis, collaborations and discussion forums (Social Constructivism) which enables further discussion and perspectives resulting in a deeper and clearer understanding of the information.

I am very fortunate to have founded a strong social support network and access to online resources which will maximize my learning and help me significantly on this new learning journey.

Stay tuned as I update you on my recent findings and understandings from my first two weeks of study!

No comments:

Post a Comment